Wednesday, July 23, 2008

BaBy ThUgS?!?!?!

What is with these young boys these days thinking it's cute to act like a thug? Last nite I got a friend request on Myspace from a shirtless 17 year old boy. I'm looking at the picture like, "who is this kid and why is he trying to be my friend?". I tried to look at his profile, but it was set to private. I don't approve anyone on myspace unless I know you, because they're are too many wackos out there. Anywho, he sent me a message asking if I remembered him and I said "I'm sorry, but no". He goes on to explain that he's my youngest brother's friend. When he told me his name, I nearly fell out of my seat. He didn't look the same and he was just all thugged out. I sat there thinking that "this is not the same little boy my little brother used to have play dates with and I used to make them sandwiches". It's safe to say I was baffled. So I look through the pictures and he has pictures of him with stacks of money and pictures of his homeboy with a gun (don't know what kind it was).

My concern is, why do these boys feel like they have to act this way? My brother is the same way. He wears his pants at his knees. Half the time I can't even understand him, cuz it doesn't sound like he's speaking English. The mess they're speaking these days isn't even Ebonics, I really don't know what it is. I'm always telling him to stop cursing, b/c every other word is a curse word and I don't play that. I mean I curse occasionally, but dang EVERY OTHER WORD just doesn't make any sense.

I feel like our youth are in a crisis situation and it's the responsibility of my peers(the ones that have good sense) to help enlighten them. A lot of them don't really know who they are as individuals, therefore they don't know who to be. So they emulate what they see on tv or in the streets. It really makes me sad. Most of their parents can't reach them because they feel like their parents don't understand. But if the 25+ age bracket could volunteer to mentor at least one lost teenager, the world would be a much better place.

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I tutor a 17 year old and he's all about his friends. His life revolves around his social circle. I've been trying to school him on the ways of the world and what it takes to be successful.

    I want him to make it. I'd hate to lose another black man to the prison system. I'm trying to do my part! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ieisha- Forget luck, I'm gonna pray for you LOL...They(the man) are making jail more attractive to the troubled young men. Have you seen the prison that was built in Chicago. That thing looks like a five star hotel, WTH?

    I still think jail should be a place where you sleep on the floor and they feed you bread and water. Maybe people would think twice about going to jail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I still think jail should be a place where you sleep on the floor and they feed you bread and water. Maybe people would think twice about going to jail"...

    I've always said the same thing! The money they put into these prisons and the 'extras' that prisoners receive are just ridiculous...what prisoner deserves cable tv???

    I have younger cousins who I just shake my head at...I can talk to them till I'm blue in the face and they still dont' listen. I told them if they keep on trying to be like their so called friends, lets just see which of their friends visit them when they're sitting in a 9x10 cell!

    ReplyDelete

Whadaya say?